Thursday, December 14, 2006

I miss our class already!

I have to agree with many of you in that I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I walked into the computer lab our first day. Fortunately, Thom didn't really know either. He started us off with "We, the Media," which gave us some insight into ways individual citizens can become reporters with the rise of digital cameras and video cameras. It also taught those of us who are sort of technology illiterate how important new technology is in transferring information in this up and coming knowledge-based economy. Although I didn't love the quizzes every day, I learned the material better because I knew I needed to know it. I can't say I was psyched about the book reports either, but I must admit that "Everything bad is actually good for us" gave me a seriously new perspective on video games and the virtual world.

Although I was frustrated by the spontaneity of some of the projects as well as the complexity of the web coding, I certainly learned a lot that I never thought I would learn. Also, because of all the group work, I made some friends I may not have made. Looking back, I'm definitely glad I took this class. My thoughts about the class are so positive and I would encourage anyone who is or isn't interested in media and current events to take the class. In the beginning I was frustrated with getting assignments at the last minute of class when we had no clue what they meant. For example, as we're all walking out the door one day Thom yells, "Write one page on Lonleygirl 15 for next time!" No one even knew what he was talking about, but we figured it out on our own and learned something about how to get yourself out there without going through Hollywood. Over the course of the semester, Thom's tangents about anything and everything grew on me and I've come to enjoy story time with Thom, who has done just about anything one can think of. Thom is an enthusiastic professor and I'm grateful to have taken such an enjoyable class with him.

Also, I'm really happy with how far the campaigns went with such little experience on our part. I loved the group work and it's neat to be aware of what we can do. I learned a great deal in this class in a really fun way. Thanks a lot Thom for your enthusiasm and your inspiration, and of course all your help with the technology.

Have a wonderful break everyone and stay in touch!

Love,
Sharayah

No comments: